Thursday, February 2, 2012

favorite rye bread and 2nd anniversary

Today is this little blog second anniversary,
I did not forget it, unlike last year!
Which also means that we moved a year ago,
 man, times fly when you are having fun!

So today I should be making crepes (it is that time of the year),
but instead I made bread....
alright I might make crepes later!

I have been enjoying my new oven,
and making bread, lots of bread, to everyone great pleasure.
My favorite one is rye bread.
The recipe is from my old and retired bread machine,
but it is perfect and delicious!



Here is you need:


2 oz of warm water
2 tsp of yeast
1 Tbsp of oil
2 Tbsp of molasse
8 oz of buttermilk
1 egg
1 1/2 cup of rye flour
2 cup of bread flour
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking soda.

After dissolving the yeast in the water,
everything else is added and stirred for 7-10 minutes.


 The dough rests in a greased, covered bowl for a few hours until it doubles,
it takes a lot longer than with just white flour!


Then it  is punched down and shaped, it needs to rise again
 on a floured surface, under a towel.


Finally the bread can be transferred to the oven at 375
and baked.
I like to use my pizza stone to bake bread,
and I use corn meal on the stone.
It is also the perfect time to slash the top of the bread.


It takes about 45 min for the bread to cook.
I like to check the temperature of the bread to figure out
if it is ready, usually 160 seems about right.


Isn't it a beauty?
It tastes delicious and keep for a few days,
it is also perfect toasted!



Well I am off eating some lunch,
nothing happy anniversary like bread, cheese and fruit!

Happy day!



1 comment:

  1. It is a beautiful bread! Bread making scares me for some reason-I will tackle almost any other recipe! Congratulations on your 2 years of blogging!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete

Merci pour vos commentaires, I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Christmas crafting: it was a busy month!

This December was very busy with a lot of crafting, sewing, quilting, baking. I found it easier to share on Instagram (not something I thou...